Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Where In The World? Top 5 Reasons Why People Don't Travel


Where In The World? Top 5 Reasons Why People Don't Travel

I often wonder why some people don't travel, or say they don't like to travel. I love to travel, so it's always interesting to me when I meet or hear people talk about not wanting to go anywhere; especially not outside of the United States.

This is not a scientific experiment, nor is this something I read about elsewhere; these are my own assertions based on speaking with countless people over the years. Here are the top 5 reasons that are spoken or unspoken as to why they don't travel:

  1. "It's too expensive!" --- OK, I hear that one quite often; especially when it's dealing with a far away destination like Bora Bora, etc. My answer to that one is - plan. If someone really wants to go somewhere, they will pinch every penny and save every dime to get where they want to go. It has to be a priority; if it's not, then no, they won't be going.
  2. "Why do I need to go to abroad, when I have everything here?" --- I believe it's called, "broadening your horizons," but hey, that's just my take on it. Honestly, there is NO better education than travel. The good, the bad and the ugly.
  3. "I don't speak the language at all/or very well." --- That's an easy one actually, unlike a large majority of us from the United States, a lot of people from other countries usually DO speak multiple languages, and oftentimes they speak English very well. Also, most countrymen like to see you try, even if you butcher their language. They appreciate you trying, and it also gives them a good laugh, see, that's an ice breaker right there!
  4. "I have no idea where I would want to go?" --- Again, that's a simple one. Pick a place, anyplace, and then make it your goal to get there. Set a date and make it happen. I have a friend who would spin the globe, and wherever her finger landed when it stopped spinning, she would go visit that place. I think that's actually pretty cool.
  5. "What if I don't fit in there?" --- Who says you fit in here? Just kidding. Seriously though, there is always some fear or trepidation when you are going to unknown territory, but that happens right here in the U.S. I know tons of people who don't want to go to the East/West/North/South, because they have "heard" __________(fill in the blank) about going to that State, and they don't think they will like it. Hey, what's the worse thing that could happen? You go somewhere you completely don't like and guess what? You never have to go there again. I think that ones pretty simple.

All in all, most of the objections (barring finances) are based on fear. Fear of being different; getting lost because of a language barrier; fear of eating the wrong thing...just fear. Most places are great. Do you have to do some research? Absolutely, but that's part of the fun and anticipation. Also, when you work with a Travel Professional, they assist you in navigating the unknown terrain and the answering some of those questions so you won't be on your own!

So, go ahead, spin that globe - I dare you!

(www.chicksthattrip.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment