Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Beginning of Something Great!

Something about a rainbow always seems to give me a sense of hope, renewal and opportunity. I know the definition of a rainbow is the refraction/reflection of the sun, etc, but I feel like it's a universal symbol. Whether I'm standing in my back yard here in the United States, or someone is looking at a rainbow in their part of world; I believe it is never seen with negative connotations, but something that transcends words and gives people a warm and fuzzy feeling.

I've heard small children who didn't even speak English; squeal with delight and point at a rainbow in the sky. While I couldn't know exactly what was being spoken; I could tell by their happiness and giant smiles that they were excited and perplexed by the phenomenal vision.

Travel to me is like a rainbow. It gives me a feeling that is inexplicable, yet comforting. Despite airport security delays, baggage cost increases, and the endless list of negatives that are bombarding our media surrounding travel these days, I still feel a grand sense of adventure and anticipation when I board a plane; fly to my predetermined destination; descend, and look upon my new surroundings. There is an awesomeness to gaze upon something you've always read about and then are standing in front of and admiring. The Mona Lisa in the Louvre is one of those experiences for me, but I felt the same way when a family of dolphins flanked the boat I was on, while on vacation in Hawaii. There is this swelling sense of excitement to be doing or seeing something that is a shared experience among many walks of life - those that were there before you, and those who will come after you.


We are currently promoting a wonderful trip to Provence & Paris, which is a "Celebration of Julia Child in 'Her' Paris & Provence." I watched the movie, "Julie & Julia" a few weeks ago, and I was intrigued by the storyline of a young woman writing a blog about a woman who inspired her to cook. Julia Child has been an icon in the food world for years. Watching the movie and seeing Meryl Streeps' exceptional embodiment of Julia Child was refreshing, funny and quite charming. I imagine that filming this movie in France was a channeling of sorts for Meryl Streep. I can't know this for certain, but to be in the places where Julia Child lived, ate, and drank, could only add to the energy and passion that was displayed in Streeps' performance.


Traveling is my rainbow, and I can't wait to experience more of that feeling this year. I hope more of you embrace travel and go out to find your own rainbow.

(www.chicksthattrip.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment