Thursday, February 10, 2011

Stop Nickle & Diming Me!

Stop Nickle & Diming Me!
Confession time. I abhor being nickle and dimed to death. While I know there are many out there who much prefer to pay separately for things such as checked luggage (90% of the time, I do NOT check luggage while traveling), food, drinks, etc, I am one of those who prefers all-inclusive pricing. Much like while traveling abroad, the tax is incorporated in the final price. If something is 25 Euros; it's 25 Euros.

Now I've read where USAirways is increasing the cost of their heavy bag fees (full story is here: http://news.travel.aol.com/2011/02/10/us-airways-hikes-fees-for-heavy-baggage/). While fees in and of themselves are not inherently a bad thing, it has come to the point where every single transaction that takes place (I am speaking specifically about the airlines right now) is charged a separate fee. If I had my druthers, I would much prefer they just increase airfare $20-$50 across the board and be done with it. While there are many critics who would argue that they much prefer to pay for the services they actually use, there are those of us who may not always utilize the services, but possibly would if there weren't always additional charges incurred. Again, I don't typically check luggage, so for all in tense purposes I shouldn't care - but I do. There may be a time where I do want to check luggage, and don't want to pay an exorbitant fee.

I know my protesting is for naught, because the airlines have found a way to make money, so the likelihood of them giving up this cash cow is as likely as, well, a pig flying. It's not going to happen.

*photo taken from flikr: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/116/305393876_43b225b7aa.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment