Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Bizarre Travel Ideas From Books


Bizarre Travel Ideas From Books

Have you ever read or seen something out of the ordinary and thought to yourself, "Man, I wish I had come up with THAT idea!" I try to read a lot, because I have found that by reading it helps to stimulate my own writing endeavors, and in so doing, I've come up with a lot of ideas simply by reading a variety of books.

I recently finished reading a book called, Electric Barracuda, by Tim Dorsey. If you've never read a Dorsey novel before, you are in a for a trip...yes, a trip. I won't give away too much information, but suffice to say, Dorsey has a vivid imagination (which I'm certain is fueled by reality). His writing is not for the faint of heart (read: adult language, sex and violence - everything I prefer in my readings). The main character, Serge, and his ridiculous sidekick, Coleman, spend a majority of their shenanigans in the state of Florida; however, I have read one of Dorsey's books where Serge and Coleman infiltrate Los Angeles.

In Electric Barracuda, Dorsey intertwines his regular cast of characters; interesting and intricate plot development, with moments that make you laugh so hard that your sides ache. In this most recent installment of Serge and Coleman hilarity, they take the roads of Florida in order to create what's called a "Fugitive Tour." Serge deftly takes the reader through the back roads of Florida in an effort to show where fugitives can hide out when they are on the run. Serge blogs on his website about his tour, and unknowingly is being pursued by a motley crew of law enforcement officials who are just as bizarre as Serge.

While the concept of a "Fugitive Tour" is something most people would not necessarily want to admit to signing up for; it's clear by the success of the "Sex & The City Tour," and "Sopranos Tour," that people do like to step outside of the ordinary and into the extraordinary. Maybe the next book you read, or movie you watch will give you inspiration to go somewhere you have never been before.

Happy reading!

www.chicksthattrip.com

No comments:

Post a Comment