Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Do You REALLY Need To Know Where Your Friends Are?

Do You REALLY Need To Know Where Your Friends Are?

I'm all for social media and networking, but some of the apps that I've seen out there are a bit too much for me. Also, it would seem, that a large portion of our population is "twitterfied" (not a real word, but maybe it should be). The constant following of people and/or companies has risen to epic proportions, and a lot of people love it. Ok, that's cool...I guess, but what about the app that lets people know where you are eating? Now your friends (and probably strangers) can hunt you down while you are enjoying a fine meal, or maybe a NOT so fine meal. Certainly there is a way to disengage this feature, but I have a problem with people knowing my every movement. Sometimes you want time to yourself, where you are inaccessible to anyone. But now days with all of these apps, and GPS devices on every thing we own, we are bound to be hunted down anywhere and everywhere, by just about anybody who cares to know our whereabouts.

I will readily admit that I am a bit of a privacy seeker. While I'm not exactly a hermit, I do prefer some semblance of anonymity and privacy. I know that in this day and age I am definitely the exception, and not the rule, but I find it a bit disturbing that instead of people organically getting to know one another, they "Google" them to death, to unearth every imaginable piece of information that's available about that person. I, personally, think that takes the fun out of "getting to know somebody." What's the use of going to coffee or dinner to get to know someone, when in actuality they may know MORE about you than you realize?

Obviously, there is no way to get around it - our information is everywhere. Is it fun to look up interesting factoids and information? Absolutely, but there is also a time and a place for everything, and in our zeal to know everything instantaneously, perhaps we are missing out on simpler things in life. I love meeting new and interesting people, and simply striking up conversations with them because it feels good. And while I appreciate technology and all of the incredible advances we continue to make; I recommend people take a step away from technology from time to time and simply - be.


www.chicksthattrip.com



No comments:

Post a Comment